Call Us: 580-765-3311 Ext. 114

Ponca City Information

Ponca City History

1958

The Ponca City Information website is not affiliated nor associated with the City of Ponca City, the website is provided by the Ponca City Publishing Company, Inc. as an information website for Ponca City, Oklahoma.

1958 – On New Year’s Day, the Po Hi band played in the Tournament of Roses Parade.

Groundbreaking ceremonies were held at the Felician Sisters Assumption Villa in January for a new two-story school and dormitory to be built northwest of the main building.

The Sooner State Life Insurance Company opened their home office in Ponca City. J.R. Meek served as first vice president and Frank Overstreet was a director.

The Mother’s March netted over $4,000 for the fight against polio.

The Kay County Child Guidance Clinic was created, under the umbrella of the Kay County Health Department.

WBBZ Radio joined more than 50 other radio stations across the state in Traffic Watch, a concentrated effort to promote deathless weekends on Oklahoma highways.

In April, Ponca City’s automotive companies and related industries held the second annual Auto Show in the Agricultural Building. The public viewed the newest in motor vehicles, farm implements and boats.

The City Commission passed an ordinance to prohibit the sale of raw milk in Ponca City.

More than 300 Ponca Citians turned out for the dedication of the new Doherty Mens’ Fraternity Clubhouse, formerly the pump station for the Cities Service Oil Company at 1500 S. Fourth St.

The cornerstone was laid at the new Woodlands Christian Church at 14th Street and Hartford.

A four-mile stretch of a four-lane super highway was opened in April, connecting the Kansas Turnpike to Interstate 35.

Frank Waters, senior at Ponca City High School and son of Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Harold Waters, was awarded a National Merit Scholarship, one of only 600 in the nation. Three Po-Hi seniors – Carol Duley, Linda Short, and Ralph Leon McLaury, were commended for outstanding performance on the National Merit Scholarship Test.

Work began on the new $75,000 building for Hartford Avenue Church of Christ.

The Chamber of Commerce proposed three plans to solve the city parking problem: reduce over-parking fines, widen streets, and create two free parking areas near downtown.

In August, more than 200 volunteers took the first step in a comprehensive study of the traffic and parking situation by counting traffic at 63 posted locations.

More than 10,000 citizens viewed the exhibits at the 4th annual Home and Trade Show, hosted by the Ponca City Home Builders Assn.

Mrs. Lillie Burkhart, Princess Pawhuska, was chosen to represent Osages and Oklahoma at the World’s Fair and International Exhibition in Brussels, Belgium.

The Ponca City PTA sponsored the annual pre-school roundup in June, where 430 new first graders received physical examinations.

Jerrie Cobb was declared winner of the seventh annual Sky Lady Derby, sponsored by the Women’s National Aeronautics Assn.

Construction began on a new shopping center at the corner of 14th Street and Hazel.

The Board of Education purchased land on the west side for a new junior high school.

In July, Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. announced a $273,100 expansion program.

Gov. Raymond Gary became member No. 1 of the Children of the Pioneers, a society honoring pioneer ancestors in connection with the Pioneer Woman Museum. Mayor I.H. Needham, whose father, Jasper H. Needham, was a pioneer of Oklahoma County, was presented certificate No. 2.

John B. Hale presented a life-size oil painting of E.W. Marland to the Pioneer Woman Museum.

Angela Hall at the Felician Sisters Assumption Villa was completed in July.

A Senate-House conference committee agreed on a $1.18 million appropriations bill for construction of water projects. Items in the bill included $15,000 for preliminary studies of the Kaw Reservoir on the Arkansas River near Ponca City.

The 45th annual convention of the Oklahoma Municipal League welcomed 175 members to Ponca City for its two-day meeting.

In late August, over 120 students enrolled at Ponca Military Academy. Public schools anticipated over 6,500 students for the upcoming school year.

On September 16, the new Pioneer Woman Museum was dedicated to the present and future generations of Oklahoma as a standing symbol of the hardships and sufferings their ancestors endured. Roberta Long Newman was named curator.

The city officially declared war on the growing rat population with the announcement that a special Warfarin preparation was available free of charge to city residents.

Robert L. Wischnick, president of Continental Carbon, and Harold G. Osborn, senior vice president of Continental Oil, announced plans to expand the Continental Carbon Co.’s carbon black plant.

The Retail Development committee of the Chamber of Commerce staged its annual fall observance with “Fall ’58 – Fashions and Values.” There was a flurry of live models, band music and special promotion prices by the city’s retail merchants.

The county adopted a new registration system, and in October, the official count of registered voters was 20, 383. There were 13,607 Democrats, 6,715 Republicans, and 61 independents.

Camp Fire Girls dedicated a newly planted tree in dedication ceremonies at their headquarters, 602 E. Ponca, as Camp Fire Girls across the nation began a two-year conservation program.

School board members created a new position to be called Supervisor of the Physical Education Program and employed Earl Sullins to fill the new job.

Community Chest Drive President T.C. Gravett reported the $60,054 goal had been exceeded.

The City purchased a 400-horsepower diesel generator to be used on a stand-by basis in case of disaster such as tornado, bombing or raging fire.

In December, Ponca City’s grocery stores voted to close on Sundays.