Call Us: 580-765-3311 Ext. 114

Ponca City Information

Marland Mansion Grounds Tour

1 of 10

The Ponca City Information website is not affiliated nor associated with the City of Ponca City, the website is provided by the Ponca City Publishing Company, Inc. as an information website for Ponca City, Oklahoma.

THE MARLAND MANSION ESTATE

The dream castle a colorful oil magnate built over 70 years ago on a Ponca City hilltop is now everybody’s castle. Through those years, the fabulous mansion built by philanthropist Ernest Whitworth Marland has been more - much more - than a 55 room imposing stone structure.

It has been a home, a showplace, campaign headquarters, a college, a monastery, a convent, and a historic house museum.   For more on this story see Mansion Owners.   Let's Go Ahead And Start Our Tour Of The Estate Grounds.

Artist Studio

The Artist Studio was originally built for sculptor, Jo Davidson, using timbers from one of Marland’s first oil well derricks. It became the home of Mr. and Mrs. Marland when they could no longer afford to live in the mansion.

On the south exterior wall of the Artist Studio is an unusual vertical sundial. Originally, a peg in the sun’s mouth cast the shadow that told the time.

The Gallery attached to the Studio is the home of the Bryant Baker Studio, sculptor of the Pioneer Woman Statue. This wing originally housed the twelve original models of the Pioneer Woman Statue, which are now on display at Woolaroc, near Bartlesville.

The John Duncan Forsyth Room is located in the Artist Studio building. A tribute to the Master Architect of the Marland Estate, the room includes original drawings of the Artist Studio and a collection of photographs of the mansion interior in 1930.