Ponca City Information
Ponca City Attractions
The Ponca City Information website is not affiliated nor associated with the City of Ponca City, the website is provided by Kay County Media LLC as an information website for Ponca City, Oklahoma.
518 South Fourth - J.W. Lynch home. This early Victorian farm home was built in 1894 by Seagrove and Laird for approximately $3000. It replaced the Sullivan home as being the most costly home in Ponca City. J.W. Lynch owned and operated a cattle ranch near Ponca City, was one of our early mayors and also a banker.
(Turn left on Maple and go 1 block to Fifth Street. Turn left on Fifth Street and go 3 blocks to Oklahoma. Turn right on Oklahoma and go 2 blocks to Seventh Street. On the right side of the street at the corner of Seventh and Oklahoma…)
302 South Seventh - Daniel J. Donahoe/Mair home. The Donahoe/Mair home was the home of D.J. Donahoe, who built a fortune through ranching, grain milling and real estate development. The house was designed by architect Soloman Layton and built by O.F. Keck in 1910. D.J. lived in the house until his death in 1946 at the age of 81.
He made the run in 1893 when the Cherokee Strip was opened. He was instrumental in bringing the Rock Island railroad to Ponca City, founded the Chamber of Commerce and was the President of the Ponca City Milling Company.
The 17 room house, counting the basement and third floor as "rooms" has a native limestone foundation, hard-fired Altoona brick paver walls, with stucco and half-timbered gabled ends topped with Spanish roof tile. The house, a definite example of the "Craftsman" style is one of a few houses known to have been designed by Layton. He designed some of Oklahoma's best known buildings, including the Oklahoma State Capitol and the Skirvin Hotel.
In 1917 a sleeping porch was added to the rear of the house. Four years later S.A. Layton and George Forsyth designed a bedroom and solarium addition to the south. About that same time electricity replaced the original lighting system. The house remained in the family until 1979. It is now owned by Glenn and Verona Mair and is undergoing renovation to bring the interior back to its original condition.
(Turn right on Seventh Street and go 2 blocks to Ponca. Turn left on Ponca and go 1 block to Eighth Street. Turn left on Eighth.
On the east side of Eighth…)
Copyright 2018. Kay County Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.